Today begins a journey that no doubt will be incredible
difficult, sad, happy, tiring, sickening, and rewarding. A journey I wish I had
committed to years ago. Here we go.
I cannot remember a moment in my 23 almost 24 years of
existence where I felt like I wasn't overweight. Not because I was insecure,
but because it was the truth. I have been slightly to very overweight since I
can remember- I guess that would be middle school. And since some time in high
school, I started trying to do something about it. Working out for months at a
time, going on ‘lifestyle change’ diets, only to continue my bad habits
months, sometimes only weeks later. This seems to be the story of most people
that want to lose weight-trying, failing, trying, failing, trying, FAILING.
Thus is my story. From October to December 2010, I had a personal trainer at
Gold’s Gym. I saw fantastic results, losing 20 pounds in those 3 months.
Unfortunately the cost was FAR more than I could afford, so I had to stop.
Without that constant accountability, I once again failed. So here I was,
arriving in Burundi Africa on June 1, 2012-and I weighed more than I ever have
in my life. Boo.
So since arriving here almost 2 months ago, I have lost 8
pounds doing nothing but eating the Burundi food-and we eat plenty of it. Without
the palm oil-laced fried potatoes and fried bananas dipped in mayonnaise, it
probably would have been more like 15 lbs. So----this blog is a chance for me
to be transparent and honest with family, friends, and myself about my life. Because
I don’t want to disqualify myself from ministry because of laziness. My body is
the temple of the Holy Spirit, and I don’t think the Holy Spirit wants to live
in a body surrounded by gross looking fat. Just saying. J
SO-Today begins the undeniably grueling journey that is the
Beachbody program-INSANITY. When in Africa, right? I am super excited. I know
that I will have to stop, possibly throw up, keep going, stop again, and guzzle
down water-but I am ready. Jeff and I will be doing it together for the first
few weeks, until he moves to Gitega. Praise the Lord for accountability. I will be keeping those of you that care to know posted via this blog, and maybe a few progress pics every now and then.
BEFORE:
No comments:
Post a Comment